Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch

It was a memorable evening for Rotarians belonging to Rotary Club Chandigarh Midtown in more ways than one, as well known lawyer Salil Dev Singh Bali was installed its President along with Board of Governors for the year 2019-20. One, they were celebrating the centennial year of Rotary International (RI), and two, both the Chief Guest for the occasion Justice Rajiv Sharma of the Punjab & Haryana High Court, and Guest of Honour Atul Nanda, Advocate General Punjab, unexpectedly turned out to be entertainers par excellence, triggering rounds of applause and peals of laughter.

While Bali received the ceremonial Rotary collar from outgoing President Ashok K. Puri to be installed the 43rd President of the club, the incoming Secretary Nitin Kapur was handed over the Rotary Charter by demitting Secretary Salil Chopra at the CII Northern Region Headquarters Convention Hall on Monday. The handover also marked a clear transition from a wiser generation to a more energetic one. 

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch, Lifeinchd

Photos By : Life In Chandigarh

Puri read out his report card, listing out the 2018-19 team’s achievements, and Bali committed himself and his team to continuity with new initiatives.

Pledging, on behalf of his team, to work with all their might to fulfil the goals of RI President Mark Daniel Maloney’s theme for 2019-20, which is Rotary Connects The World, he spelled out the Three Acts of Kindness which the club will pursue with vigour during the year, apart from the other activities in the service of the society, which will continue with the same commitment.

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch, Lifeinchd

In pursuance of The Gift of Pain Free Life, Rotary Club Chandigarh Midtown, on Monday formally exchanged a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Fortis Hospital Mohali. Under the initiative, chosen senior citizens, with restricted activity due to orthopaedic illness, will be provided free treatment and care. The club will bear 30% of the cost and Fortis will defray the remaining 70% from its CSR funds.   

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch, Lifeinchd

The second gift of kindness entails providing Interest Free Microloans to the needy for startup business. As part of the activity two beneficiaries, Vehida and Sandeep, were provided another Rs 30,000 each as loans after they had paid off their earlier loans taken for the same purpose.

Under the scheme Scholarship for Women Empowerment, Rotractor and taekwondo player Ashmita was presented a cheque for Rs 12,000 as first instalment for pursuing her Bachelor of Engineering course.

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch, Lifeinchd

Among other initiatives which Bali promised to pursue with vigour were creating awareness among physically challenged about the benefits of registering for a Unique ID card specially meant for them, treatment of patients co infected with HIV and TB, helping create Happy Schools, launching Kalam Express mobile school to cater to needs of special children, skilling youth for economic empowerment, TEACH programme for literacy, tree plantation, disease prevention and screening camps, Swachh Bharat campaign, save the girl child and social rehabilitation for peace promotion.

While appealing to Rotarians to add muscle to the nationwide awareness drives to save water, Justice Rajiv Sharma, known for his proactive contribution to environmental protection, also unleashed his funny bone, hidden behind his expressionless face, by cracking a couple of ingenious jokes which had the Rotarians and guests in splits. 

AG Atul Nanda, while suggesting that Rotarians play an important role in helping sew back  the torn fabric of Indian society in tune with this year’s RI theme, proved no less an entertainer. His rendition of a few select stanzas from Bulleh Shah’s poetry to press home his point wowed the gathering, and drew repeated applause.   

As is the latest trend at such gatherings, all guests and members were presented with herbal saplings while leaving the venue.

RI Theme

Behind That Facade, Honoured Jurist Guests Pack An Entertaining Punch, LifeinchdRI President Mark Daniel Maloney’s theme for 2019-20, Rotary Connects The World, asks Rotarians to strengthen the many ways that Rotary connects the world, building the connections that allow talented, thoughtful and generous people to unite and take meaningful action through Rotary Service.

Popular Articles